Jump to Navigation

Tucson Child Support Lawyer

Let My Experience Help You | Arizona Alimony and Child Support Issues Attorney

Arizona sets child support payments according to the needs of the child and the abilities of the parents to provide. Although child support is determined according to strict guidelines, actual payments depend largely on each parent's individual assets and the amount of time each parent spends with the child.

The state also sets conditions for when spousal support, also known as alimony, can be paid to a divorcing spouse.

I am Michael D. Miller, a Tucson, Arizona, child support attorney with more than 35 years of experience representing local parents in child support and spousal support issues. If you have concerns about how much child support or alimony you might have to pay, or how much of each you could receive, call me at the Law Office of Michael D. Miller today for a free, no-hassle consultation of your legal problem.

Call me today 520-441-6178 or toll free at 888-482-0176.

Factors of Child Support in Arizona

If one parent has sole custody, the other parent will likely be required to pay child support based on his or her adjusted gross income and other factors.

If the parents have joint custody, the parent who spends — or is allowed to spend — more time with the child is usually the recipient of any child support payments. If parents have joint custody and make about the same amount of money, then it is unlikely any child support will be required.

The following are some of the factors that play a role in child support payments:

  • Each parent's income
  • Time each parent spends with the child (as determined by custody and visitation arrangements)
  • Health insurance and medical costs
  • Child day care costs
  • Educational expenses

Child Support Modifications | Tucson Child Support Attorney

If a parent's economic or personal circumstances change significantly, it is possible for that parent to seek a child support modification. For such a change to occur, either or both parents must agree to change the support amount or the divorce court must enter a judgment.

Child support payments can be modified when:

  • A parent's earnings significantly rise or fall
  • A parent's capacity to earn money significantly increases or decreases
  • Changes to the child custody arrangement are made
  • Changes in the amount of time each parent spends with the child
  • Changes in the child's needs
  • Severe injury or disability of a parent

Terminating Child Support | Paternity

When do child-support obligations end?

A parent's obligation to pay child support can be terminated when the child turns 18, if the other parent remarries and his/her new spouse agrees to adopt the child, or it can be proved the parent paying child support is not actually related to the child.

I can petition the court to require a simple DNA test that can prove or disprove whether a man is father to a child.

What About Alimony? | Tucson Spousal Support Attorney

Spousal support, also known as alimony, is money one ex-spouse pays to another following a divorce. Although it is determined separately from child support, the two concepts are often linked.

Much like child support, spousal support is influenced by the quantity of each spouse's assets. If one spouse has significantly more assets than the other, it is often possible for the other spouse to claim and receive alimony payments.

Likewise, if one spouse is not working because he/she is raising the children, the other spouse may be required to pay spousal maintenance to cover the "costs" of the first spouse's sacrifice.

If yours or your ex-spouse's economic or personal circumstances change significantly, I can work with you to modify your spousal support terms to reflect the new reality.

Is Rehabilitative Support an Option?

If one spouse cannot find work or has limited job options because previous marital duties prevented them from getting education, training or work experience, it may be possible for this spouse to get rehabilitative support.

Such support can pay for any training or education needed to get a former stay-at-home spouse "up to speed" in the job market. As your attorney, I can help you acquire any needed support for you or your child through negotiations and court litigation.

Likewise, I can help you obtain a spousal support modification if a job loss or job change significantly changes yours or your ex-spouse's ability to pay.

Contact Michael D. Miller Today | Free Consultation

If any of the above scenarios apply to you, I can help you get the resolution you need. For more information or to schedule a free consultation with a lawyer, contact me online or by calling the Law Office of Michael D. Miller at 520-441-6178 or toll free at 888-482-0176.

How can we help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

View Our Practice Areas

Law Offices of Michael D. Miller | 2830 N Swan Rd, Ste. 140 | Tucson, AZ 85712 | Phone: 520-441-6178 | Toll free: 888-482-0176 | Fax: 520-327-0062 | Tucson Law Office